This website documents the history of a square and the connected communities trying to survive in a changing world
Once a hard to reach area of fields, the Christ Church area, including Nelson Square. was developed after the opening of Blackfriars Bridge
Nelson Square has always been an attractive address to live in.
By Catharine Mackenzie On January 26, 1788 England was expanding its colonial influence to Australia when Captain Arthur Phillip arrived with the first fleet at Botany Bay, later moving to a better harbour at Sydney Cove. Later that year, in August 1788 Thomas Farley was born to John Farley and his wife, Elizabeth Palmer. Thomas’…
Originally a private park for the Square’s residents, it became public in 1904.
The local community wanted to recreate some of the area’s lost heritage; a new local landmark was born
Right next to Nelson Square stood once a landmark octagonal building.
While Nelson Square became the home of the reasonably wealthy, abject poverty was found in just a few streets away.
Several WW II bombs dropped in the immediate vicinity of Nelson Square. Only 4 houses would eventually remain. Read about the Blitz in this article.
Post-war, Southwark Council used Nelson Square as a flagship project for social housing.
First new residents moved in to the new Nelson Square Gardens Estate from 1956, and the last block was finished in 1964.
Right to Buy, opening of Tate Modern and Southwark tube station changed the Nelson Square community