From “Dandies parade” to “sun-trapped homes for working people”

Post-war, Southwark Council used Nelson Square as a flagship project for social housing.


Moving in to Nelson Square Gardens from 1956

First new residents moved in to the new Nelson Square Gardens Estate from 1956, and the last block was finished in 1964.

Womens’ University Settlement

Blackfriars Settlement, one of the oldest local charities, has its roots in Nelson Square